What is Barkley House?
Barkley House provides temporary lodging for families whose pets are receiving treatment at the University of Missouri Veterinary Health Center (VHC).The facility will allow pets to stay with their owners in a homelike setting, lessening anxiety for both the animals and their owners and helping to speed recovery.
Why is Barkley House Needed?
Research shows that treatment and recovery are more successful and less stressful on pets when their owners are a part of the process. Clients come to the VHC from all over the United States to seek the highest level of care possible for their pets. Although there are many pet-friendly hotels in the Columbia area, pets preparing for or recovering from treatment have special needs. Barkley House better meets those needs.
What Makes Barkley House Ideal for Pets That Need Medical Care?
- Barkley House rooms are located in close proximity to the VHC, which is important for clients who need assistance with their pets and when a clinician recommends that the patient return to the hospital quickly.
- Barkley House rooms are designed for families with pets and maintained to the level of cleanliness required for proper recovery.
- Barkley House rooms maintain the necessary equipment and desired amenities.
- Green space is available for pets to exercise.
- The facility provides proper sanitation supplies and a disposal management system.
- The anti-micro-toxin bedding is completely cleaned and sterilized after each stay.
- Proper bedding encourages recovery for animal patients undergoing treatment.
- A discrete entrance into and out of the room minimizes stress on pets.
The management and staff of the Barkley House rooms understand the unique circumstances of clients and their pets.